A South African fruit company established in 2005 that specialises in the production of soft citrus fruit is looking for a Health & Safety Coordinator for their Nelspruit orchard.
The company owns and manages citrus orchards in the following regions:
- Letsitele in the Limpopo province;
- Burgersfort valley, on the border between the Mpumalanga and Limpopo provinces;
- Nelspruit in Mpumalanga; and
- Heidelberg and Swellendam in the Southern Cape.
Geographical diversification allows for the extension of the fruit packing season and further provides for reduced risk exposure of the orchards as a whole to area specific climatic events.
The Health & Safety Coordinator will be ensuring the company complies and adheres to Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) guidelines.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITY AREAS
• Perform monthly inspections and internal Audits
• Risk assessments & Task observations
• Perform incident investigations (Injury on duty)
• Personal Protective Equipment and clothing stock control and issue
• Ensure annual medicals are done
• Responsible for verifying that the legal inspection registers are done
• Ensure emergency plan is in place to manage a disaster in an effective, efficient, and timely manner
• Ensure that Occupational Hygiene surveys takes place every two years
• Budget and expense control
• Train new employees on company induction, policies, and procedures.
• Create H&S training schedules for all departments, track, and report on outcomes.
• Administer and manage the Health & Safety system.
• Create, maintain, and update safety manuals and safety files.
• Coordinate all health and safety training and promote a positive health and safety culture in the workplace.
• Responsible for monthly H&S meetings, the agenda and minutes.
• Ensuring contractor agreements are in place and revised accordingly for all projects undertaken on site & adhere to requirements
• Ensure the efficient distribution of internal and external HSE alerts.
• Responsible for summarising all findings as noted by the H&S representatives on checklists to be discussed during monthly committee meetings.
• Ensure the appointments of relevant trained employees are in place and renewed accordingly.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
OHS (Occupational Health & Safety) Qualification / Experience is an advantage
Must be fluent in Siswati
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
• Be able to plan and organise well
• Possess good communication skills (languages: English, Siswati and/or any other)
• Data gathering and analysis skills
• Proficient in problem analysis and problem solving
• Possess good judgement, be a team player and be adaptable
• Good presentation, facilitation, and coaching skills
Candidates meeting the above criteria, may apply online with a personal message and a detailed CV.