An international agricultural solutions company based in Kenya, provides complete solutions in all of its fields of expertise in agriculture. Through decades of partnership with Kenya’s large, medium and small-scale growers, the company has become a “one-stop-shop” for all of Kenya’s agricultural needs. The company is part of an international business development company, based in the UK, driving growth in Africa. Their core business is the packaging of complete agricultural solutions, tailored to local market requirements. Solutions are developed by combining a range of market-leading products (consumables, equipment, and information technology) from suppliers/manufacturers around the world and packaging this with extensive technical support, agronomy knowledge, and after-sales service. The objective being to take farmers on a journey of increased productivity through mechanization and improved agricultural practices. They are now recruiting a Commercial Manager (or Head of Department) for Irrigation Systems and Greenhouses for the Agriculture market in Kenya.
JOB PURPOSE & REPORTING
This role will report directly to the Managing Director and will be responsible for achieving business growth by meeting business targets through sales of greenhouse & irrigation products and services, establishing and maintaining business partnerships with suppliers, customers, and different market stakeholders, and coordinating with all the field sales teams.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement successful sales strategies, marketing/sales plans, and forecasts to achieve departmental objectives for products and services to meet the organization's revenue target each financial year.
- Develop and recommend product positioning, and pricing strategy to produce the highest possible long-term market share.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual sales forecasts and set performance goals accordingly.
- Develop and justify annual revenue budgets as well as product-specific budgets/projections for new products.
- Monitor competitor products, sales, and marketing activities.
- Perform research and identify new potential customers and new market opportunities and adjust marketing strategy to meet changing market and competitive conditions.
- Building and strengthening business relationships with existing and prospective clients to achieve performance targets.
- Exploring opportunities presented by the market and developing innovative products and solutions that meet customer needs.
- Managing the business portfolio through business development to achieve the targeted business mix and loss ratio.
- Developing a departmental budget and business plans to achieve the set company targets.
- Entrenching sales performance-based appraisal of departmental sales staff in line with their set KPIs and departmental targets.
- Design, implement and review appropriate policies to guide work ethics and maintain best practices within the department.
- Plan and execute tactical sales campaigns to the highest standard, maximizing sales revenue wherever possible.
- Training, coaching, and mentoring staff to improve sales performance and cohesion within the department.
- Participating in management meetings, projects, and committees as assigned.
ACADEMIC & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Master’s degree or equivalent in a related field from a recognised university.
- Member of a relevant professional body
- Irrigation Technology Experience/Certification
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & ADDITIONAL SKILLS
- A diploma in Sales and Marketing will be an added advantage.
- At least 8 years relevant experience in sales of Greenhouse and Irrigations productions/items.
- 3 years Commercial Managerial experience.
- Previous experience in managing a team.
- Experience as Head of Department in Agribusiness – preferably related to Irrigation.
- Superior communication skills in English both written and oral.
- Analytical skills.
- Strong sales & negotiation skills.
- Strong interpersonal & leadership skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Project Management.
- Budgeting and Forecasting and basic Management accounting skills.