The Citrus Grower Association Business Development Company is looking for an Extension Officer, reporting to the Manager: Production and Technical Support.
To provide relevant citrus extension support services to growers and support to government citrus industry extensionists to achieve the industry’s transformation objectives.
REQUIREMENTS FOR JOB:
Education, professional/technical/degree/certificate – ideal requirements to perform job:
- Agricultural / Horticultural degree or diploma with appropriate citrus production certification. A degree with research experience would be preferred.
Length and nature of post-educational training and experience required:
- At least two years’ experience in extension and/or skills transfer services in a developmental situation. Experience in commercial citrus production would be a decided advantage.
Legal requirements, e.g. government certificates of competency or a driver’s licence.
- Code B
Citrus Industry Transformation:
- Promote and support the citrus industry transformation process.
- Assist in training of previously disadvantaged growers.
- Assist in transfer of technical information at workshops, farmer days, etc
- Arrange suitable candidates and contacts to address production related requirements.
- Promote grower mentorship.
- Advise growers with regard to citrus enterprise business planning.
- Promote the use of effective citrus farm operational plans.
- Promote the production of export quality fruit.
Provincial Departments of Agriculture MOU support:
- Identify citrus projects and growers requiring extension support.
- Assist PDA to identify citrus extension needs.
- Assist PDA and CRI to identify emerging grower research priorities.
- Participate with CA in training PDA citrus extensionists.
- Facilitate the drafting of a PDA citrus extension programme and assist with the formulation of an extension work programme.
- Support and guide PDA citrus extensionists.
- Provide feedback to growers on relevant research findings.
- Promote, support the establishment of study groups.
- Arrange study group meetings, farmer days, etc.
- Undertake regular visits to CGA Representatives and key growers in each study group / region
- Assist in continuous updates of grower data base
- Provide regional feedback to CRI
CRI Regional Workshops:
- Determine extension needs from growers.
- Arrange workshop venues.
- Assist with arrangements of suitable speakers and logistics.
- Assist with arrangement of sponsors
Post-harvest Technology Transfer:
- Assist technology transfer to pack houses through regular pack house visits.
- Advise on compliance re packing material specifications and palletisation protocols during pack house visits.
- Pursue alignment between post-harvest extension activities and market requirements.
- Keep abreast of relevant citrus production technology by attending technical symposia.
- Maintain exposure to international citrus technology and information.
- Meet regularly with citrus industry researchers and other relevant experts.
- Maintain relevant grower database.
- Draft monthly activity plan.
- Provide monthly activity reports.
- Ensure that approved activities remain within budget.