A multifaceted organisation that focuses on the development and training of agricultural entrepreneurs, is looking for a farm manager for their vegetable operations in Elandsfontein and Centurion. They create income, create jobs, and contribute to the betterment of their communities and later to the world. They grow and supply high-quality vegetables and flowers for local and international markets, grown under protection by using modern farming methods and infrastructure.
The farm manager reports directly to the managing director.
He/she is to plan, direct, manage commercial productions and operations, is responsible for the financial and physical performance of the farm.
- Overseeing the selection, training and performance of agricultural workers.
- Management of the farm and training components.
- Plan production to meet market demand.
- Establish and manage budgets, monitor production output and costs, record information such as farm management practices, and prepare financial and operational reports.
- Identify and create new markets and liaise with buyers to arrange for the sale of crops.
- Organise new projects and existing farming operations such as setting up infrastructure, maintain buildings, water supply systems and equipment.
- Purchase machinery, equipment, and supplies such as tractors, seed, fertilizer, and chemicals.
- Plan the type, intensity and sequence of farm operations.
- Direct and coordinate activities such as planting, irrigation, chemical application, harvesting, and grading.
- Inspect plantations and fields to determine maturity dates of crops, or to estimate potential crop damage from weather.
- Identify and controlling agricultural and environmental toxins, weeds, pests and diseases.
- BSc/BA/BCom in a relevant field; MSc/MA will be preferred.
- 5-10 Years in a similar role or industry
- Job related: Operations Management in the Agricultural Sector, Marketing and Business Development, Budgeting and financial control, Talent management and development, High level Operations Management skills, Sales, Strategic skills, Understanding of relevant legislation
- Business related: Development and implementation of business strategies, High level customer orientation, Business acumen, Entrepreneurial skills, Long term objective setting, Analytical problem-solving, Change management, Risk management, Contract negotiation skills
- Managerial: Ability to direct self and others, Agricultural / Farm Management, Strategic, Management of Resources, budgets and contracts, People and Project management
- Personal attributes: Achiever, Activator, highly developed Stress management skills, Mental alertness, Excellent communication, interpersonal and decision-making skills, Accuracy and diplomacy, Developing & maintenance of sound business relationships, Stakeholder expectation management.