A leading grower and supplier of value-added salad and vegetable products to the retail and food services industries. They have major operating centres in Johannesburg and Cape Town, both of which are totally vertically integrated. They also provide a daily Telesales service to over 150 retail outlets, supported by an experienced team of product merchandisers. The group operations include: large scale farming & procurement, state of the art processing and packing supported by effective logistics and distribution all carried out under strict cold chain management.
They now seek to employ a Farm Manager to effectively and efficiently manage the farm operations in Cape Town where they grow Lettuce, Fancy Lettuce, Baby Spinach, Onions and 20 other lines. The farm has a full complement of section managers, Finance staff, HR and Workshops.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS & RESPONSIBILITIES (but not limited to):
- Must assist General manager with budgets
- Responsible to identify and motivate for capital budget
- Responsible for yield on all crops
- Responsible for timeous and accurate application of all farming inputs, ie Fertilizers, Chemicals, Irrigation, Compost and other inputs.
- Ensure best practices are followed
- Ensure all trials are managed and recorded.
- Capture off all farming data.
- Must be able to communicate and motivate all levels of management
- Be able to work with industry leaders, ie Consultants, Supermarkets and service suppliers
- Responsible to drive labour efficiencies to ensure no downtime
- Drive mechanisation: identify new opportunities
- Communicate with the workshop manager on service of all machinery to ensure minimum downtime and unproductivity
- Ensure conformity with GLOBALG.A.P, “Farming for the future” and industry standard
- Growing programme
- Assist General manager with growing programmes
- Ensure fresh produce availability weekly to packhouse
- 10 Years working experience in Vegetable farming
- At least 5 years’ experience in a leadership role
- Diploma in Agriculture or equivalent degree
- Strong agricultural experience
- Knowledge of Industry audits
- Self-motivated and ability to work under pressure
- Able to adapt in quick-changing environments with forward-thinking
- Basic Computer skills, MS Office, Exel and Outlook