Job Description Production Manager AvaGro – Farm Shalom, Swakopmund
AvaGro is an agricultural solutions provider, borne out of the intent to contribute to the shift from traditional farming to precision agriculture. We started our flagship project in Namibia, where we grow flowers and vegetables on a commercial basis. We’re using our experience in the country to advance tailor-made solutions for a range of crops in varying climatic conditions, and so help foster sustainable growth on the African continent.
AvaGro is borne out of the intent to contribute to the shift from traditional farming to precision agriculture in Namibia. In order for us to expand our operations, we are looking for an experienced Production Manager who will be in charge of the cultivation of horticultural crops, as well as skill and knowledge transfer to local Namibians.
AvaGro is an agricultural turnkey solution provider. Our Flagship project Farm Shalom, is located 10 km outside the city of Swakopmund, at the Atlantic coast of Namibia.
On a total size of now 20 ha, we are growing vegetables and flowers on a commercial basis in 30 greenhouses, shade-netting, and open field. Due to the fact that we are located in the world’s oldest desert, the Namib, we are facing climatic and environmental challenges that have a direct impact on our yield and quality of produce.
In the role of our Production Manager, you will be responsible for the supervision and management of our projects across Namibia and the SADC region. The following are the responsibilities for the different projects:
- Manage and execute harvest, maintenance, fertiliser and planting activities.
- Identify insects, deficiencies and any other problems and implement spray programs and feeding regimes to correct them.
- Ensure that proper watering, scouting, harvesting, and hygiene procedures are followed.
- Ensure that the production areas are in a neat and hygienic condition at all times.
- Oversee and manage staff to ensure all tasks are done timeously and to standard.
- Plan for staff requirements on a weekly basis.
- Maintain accurate records of planting, production and harvest
- Tertiary Qualification in Horticulture or Agronomy
- Have at least 3 to 5 years of practical experience in growing vegetables or related field
- Must have experience with techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting plant products, including storage/handling techniques
- Must have the ability to combine a scientific yet commercial approach, with a keen eye for detail.
- A working knowledge of MS Office (MS Word, MS Excel, Outlook)
- Good planning, organizing & record keeping skills
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail and pro-activeness
- Ability to manage oneself and work independently
- Must have a valid Code B driver’s license
- Good communication skills (speak and understand English; Afrikaans is an advantage)
- Must be flexible and willing to work overtime, weekends, public holidays, when required.
If interested in applying, apply now online, by closing date Friday, 15 January 2021, or via the link: https://avagrogroup.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=24. If you receive no feedback within 2 weeks of the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.