A leading retailer with a comprehensive small-scale farmer development programme, requires a Rural Hub Vegetable Grower/Manager. This position will report to the Rural Hub Operations Manager. They are looking for a candidate with a tertiary qualification in Agronomy or Horticulture, and the person must also have practical farming experience, and more importantly experience in small-scale farmer development. Position is based in Tzaneen/Letsitele.
Below is a list of Key Performance Area's (KPA’s) for this position:
- Small Scale Farmer Development:
- Identify and attract suitable small scale farmers to the retailer's Rural Hub Supplier Development initiative
- Develop and implement a graduation plan for participating farmers
- Mentoring of farmers
- Farmer Training Needs Analysis (TNA) and implementation of relevant training interventions
- Compiling of detailed farmer budgets and cropping plans, that meet off-take requirements and that ensure farmer profitability.
- Source, manage and develop markets for crops grown by the rural hub farmers and secure off-take for these crops.
- Monitor farmer adherence to cropping plans and any variances to input and output schedules.
- Provide technical support and guidance with the implementation of sustainable farming practices
- Programme funding:
- Provide support to the Rural Hub funding facilitator to identify and source appropriate external funding for technical services, short-term farmer input loans and medium to long-term farmer infrastructure loans in accordance with agreed timelines and financial constraints.
- Drawing up and sign-off of farmer Service Level Agreements (SLA’s) and Loan Agreements
- Monitor and report on actual farmer performance and variances against budgets
- Accurate completion and on-time submission of relevant reports
- Manage contractors to ensure that on-farm infrastructure projects are completed on time and within budget parameters
- Ensure that the retailer's minimum food safety standards are maintained at farm level
- Maintain a positive market perception of the retailer's Rural Hub initiative
- Provide leadership and guidance to the retailer's Rural hub technical team.