An international agricultural solutions company based in Kenya provides complete solutions in all of its fields of expertise in agriculture. Through decades of partnership with Kenya’s large, medium, and small-scale growers, the company has become a “one-stop-shop” for all of Kenya’s agricultural needs. The company is part of an international business development company, based in the UK, driving growth in Africa. Their core business is the packaging of complete agricultural solutions, tailored to local market requirements. Solutions are developed by combining a range of market-leading products (consumables, equipment, and information technology) from suppliers/manufacturers around the world and packaging this with extensive technical support, agronomy knowledge, and after-sales service. The objective being to take farmers on a journey of increased productivity through mechanization and improved agricultural practices. They are now recruiting a Technical Manager for Irrigation Systems and Greenhouses for the Agricultural market in Kenya.
JOB PURPOSE & REPORTING
This role will report directly to the Managing Director and will be responsible for providing technical support before, during, and after implementation of all projects and be the focal point on all technical matters.
The Technical Manager will also be involved in all aspects of projects regardless of the size, allowing the incumbent to verify scope, allocate resources, budget, risk, and impact analysis before the project is undertaken.
The incumbent is expected to manage resources and coordinate project demands and implementation timelines.
Additionally, this role will also include Innovation and new technology/solution business development.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- To provide overall technical and operations leadership in sustaining and developing the business while networking with farmers/customers and other key stakeholders.
- The key technical subject matter expert for Irrigation and greenhouse department at the company.
- Managing the day-to-day activities by providing technical solutions to customers on-premise and off-premise.
- To provide guidance to the technical teams by aligning their monthly work plans to the project budgets and work plans in line with the Company planning processes and schedules on a timely basis.
- Play an oversight role to ensure pre-installation procedures are followed i.e. staging, configuration & testing of equipment, and ensure all clarifications required are sort prior to project kick-off.
- Ensure set timelines for technical services are met.
- Ensure reported faults and service requests are dealt with in a timely fashion.
- Provide technical customer support.
- Delegate responsibilities by ensuring the technical teams understand the scope of work, the customer expectations, as well as the implementation plan prior to carrying out any technical service.
- Address the technical team's training requirements to ensure upgrade of knowledge and skill level.
- Ensure proper technical documents are issued and the records well maintained.
- Ensure the quality of technical service offered to the customer meet the agreed service level.
- Play an oversight role in the creation of service reports and attend regular service review meetings.
- Implement technical procedures and standards to be followed and ensure the same is adhered to.
- Implementing interdepartmental SLA in liaison with other departmental heads;
- Conduct research and development research reports, technical notes, and related project activities.
- Management of project budgets and activity resources.
- Maintain positive relationships with partners and clients.
- In collaboration with the office Project Management team, to develop and implement the projects’ monitoring and evaluation process, capturing project outcomes/impact and lessons learned, and use this information to improve project implementation.
- Collate all activity progress and Monitoring & Evaluation activity into monthly reporting templates for feedback to the management.
ACADEMIC & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Project Management or related field.
- Certification in Irrigation Instrumentation and automation
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & ADDITIONAL SKILLS
5+ years on-job experience in Irrigation installation, instrumentation & related field in a reputable organisation.
- Superior communication skills in English - both written and oral;
- Analytical skills;
- Strong sales & negotiation skills; and
- Strong interpersonal & leadership skills
- Organizational skills
- Project Management
- Digital solutions